Home | About
Kalanga Business Consultants (Pty) Ltd (“Kalanga”), is a boutique Board Advisory and Consultancy firm which was founded in January 2018. We have established a trusted and reliable one-stop shop for Board Advisory and Consultancy needs.
Our team of experts work to increase the effectiveness of Boards by identifying and communicating the most innovative and consequential practices in our clients’ strategies.
Vision & Mission
Our mission is to empower our clients to make well informed business decisions by providing advice, information and solutions that make a positive difference. We aim to bring better leadership to your Boardroom by utilising these four shared values:
There is a growing demand from Executive Management for Board members to provide judgment and wisdom on how to improve ways of doing business and contribute to the sustainability of the business.
Kalanga, we are ready to work with you to build the best Board of Directors possible and can assist you to see your vision materialize and grow.
The managing director of Kalanga Business Consultants, Thembeka Msane (“Ms Msane”) is an attorney with over 10 years’ experience in the public and private sector at senior and executive level. In terms of qualifications, she holds an LLB qualification from the University of Fort Hare and has also completed the Executive Development Programme through Wits Business School. Her experience lies in the area of company law, commercial law, corporate governance, company secretarial, general litigation, risk management and advice on compliance.
Ms Msane has held senior positions in various institutions, including a position as a Compliance Specialist at South African Express Airways SOC Ltd, Legal Services Manager at Clover Industries Limited, Legal advisor at Nestlé South Africa and Executive Head of Legal and Company Secretary at KTVR Bus Service Proprietary Limited.
Her areas of expertise include drafting of commercial agreements, vetting of commercial agreements, corporate and project finance, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, competition law, governance, litigation, mediation for various clients, and policy formulation.
Major agreements which have been negotiated and concluded by Ms Msane include, among others, the acquisition of Pure Life water by Nestlé South Africa from Clover Industries Limited in 2013, and the acquisition of the ice cream business by Dairymaid from Nestlé South Africa in 2015.
The highlight of Ms Msane’s career was joining a newly established company, KTVR Bus Service Proprietary Limited (“KTVR”) in 2016 and achieving the following:
- Negotiating the bus operating agreement for the Harambee Bus Rapid Transit system (BRT) between the City of Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality and the bus operating company, KTVR. This entailed negotiating the budget allocation for KTVR as well as the operational plan and organizational structure of KTVR. Furthermore, Ms Msane negotiated and concluded the funding agreement for the procurement of 32 buses for the Harambee BRT to the tune of R124 million.
- Ms Msane constituted the Board committees, namely the Audit and Risk Committee, Social and Ethics Committee and Remuneration and Nomination Committee of KTVR in 2016. Furthermore, she drafted the Board Charter and Committee Terms of References which were approved by the Board.
- Ms Msane participated in the Strategy formulation of KTVR and the successful implementation thereof. This included setting the goals and objectives of KTVR and ensuring that there are effective internal controls in place.
- Ms Msane has provided legal and commercial advice and direction in relation to the business. This entails liaising closely with the Executive Chairman and providing advice on the strategy and development of the company.
- Ms Msane has advised the Board on the legal and commercial implications of strategic business policies and contracts and has influenced key decisions at Board meetings such as expansion of bus routes and creating value chain opportunities for the taxi industry in Ekurhuleni. During her stay at KTVR, there were no qualified audits.
- Annual General Meetings were convened and reports on the operational and financial performance of KTVR were tabled for noting purposes by the Shareholders.
- Ms Msane contributed to the successful implementation of the BRT system in Ekurhuleni and the smooth running of KTVR. The allocated budget for KTVR for a period of 5 (five) years was approximately R1 billion.